Since Christmas day, eleven people have died in Rwanda after drinking a local brew made from bananas. The incident is reported to have happened in Rwanda’s south eastern district of Bugesera.
The Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) confirmed the incident and added that four others are in an hospital receiving treatment.
Accroding to the Rwanda Food and Drugs Authority, the deaths could be linked to high levels of methanol found in the stomachs of the victims.
The RIB added that the brewery was operating without a license. Hence its operations have been suspended.
The owner of the brewery in addition to four other people have been arrested, confirmed by the RIB.
The appropriate authorities have launched a nationwide campaign to clamp down on unauthorized local brews.