Following repeated claims of food poisoning on social media, the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has shut down the East Legon branch of Marwako restaurant.
The FDA announced in a tweet on Thursday that the decision to close the restaurant was made to allow the Authority to conduct investigations into consumer concerns.
“The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant. We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations”, the tweet read.
The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant. We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations.— FDAGhana (@fdaghana) May 12, 2022
Marwako, an Accra fast-food restaurant, has been trending on Twitter after numerous Twitter users reported getting food poisoning there.
The Twitter outburst began after a user, Edward Elohim, revealed that the fast-food chain had served him and several others contaminated food.
Several other people echoed his claim, accusing the fast food restaurant of putting them in a similar scenario since the weekend.
Many have already been admitted to hospitals, with many of the purported victims pointing to the eatery’s East Legon location as the source of their distress.
In a follow up tweet, the FDA assured that they will investigate the claims thoroughly and the necessary actions taken.
We wish to assure the public that the issue would be thoroughly investigated and appropriate actions taken. Additionally, FDA is ensuring the strict implementation of it protocols to prevent any further harm to the public.— FDAGhana (@fdaghana) May 12, 2022
These are some reactions from tweeter.
Marwako @Marwakofastfood gave me and many others in this hospital the worst food poisoning ever.— Edward Elohim (@deezydothis) May 11, 2022
And then the problem with the pharmacy forcefully selling malaria drugs without testing. Not every stomach ache and vomiting is malaria eeei. This pharmacy sold medicine to the sum of 62gh to me. It didn't work. 3— Omar Gyabo Abdullah (@omargyabo1) May 12, 2022
This is crazy because I’ve at least 5 children turn up at the ER since Sunday who went out to eat at Marwako over the weekend and they’re all on admission https://t.co/aHmOK9kUsE— Afua (@Afua_Bour) May 11, 2022
How Marwako is still in business after how that Lebanese supervisor physically assaulted a Ghanaian female employee is what baffles me.— piè.siè (@kwabena_piesie) May 11, 2022
If you ate at Marwako this weekend look sharp cos there’s money to be made ei. Too many people— alleunammE💊🎤🎶 (@Dr_nuellie_) May 11, 2022
But what is wrong with Marwako ? They poisoned all their customers this weekend and they saying nothing about it whiles people suffer in hospitals?? Wtf— TWO TERTY 🇳🇬🇬🇭 (@Aboa_Banku1) May 11, 2022
I never understood the love for Marwako food anyway. I hope all those poisoned come together and sue them.— Yeshuwa (@bybentil) May 11, 2022
They have some serious management issues, from the staff abuse sometime back & now this.